- 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550 review: New S-Class takes the lead with self-driving tech
- Thorium Car Concept: This Car Runs For 100 Years Without Refuelling
- Buy a Penthouse and Get a Lamborghini Aventador Roadster for FREE !
- Harley-Davidson invites people to test electric motorbike
- Suzuki iV-4 design explained by it’s designer
If you’ve ever driven a highway on a most important trip, you know how dull it can get – and it only gets not as good as for big rig operators, who may spend every day on those everyday roads. Mercedes-Benz may finally let those long-haul drivers make better use of their time, though. It just recently demonstrated Future Truck 2025, a semi-autonomous concept vehicle that takes the wheels on the highway. A combination of radar and stereo cameras keep the machine on the right course once it’s up to speed, freeing the driver to check up on the family or get work done. It can optionally talk to other vehicles to anticipate upcoming construction or traffic jams, and it’s smart enough to get out of the way if an ambulance comes speeding by.
As the name implies, Mercedes doesn’t see its hardware inflowing production for almost a decade. However, that’s definitely a realistic goal; some of the underlying technology is already in the 2014 S-Class sedan. Future Truck isn’t as ambitious as something like Google’s fully automated car, but it could make life much easier for transportation pros that’d rather not spend most of their day gripping a steering wheel.
VIA: New York Times